Seized $15m, others: DSS set to grill ex-NSA Dasuki

2015-07-17
THE NATION Newspaper- Yusuf Alli

Department of State Security (DSS) operatives yesterday invaded the Abuja home of the immediate past National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), to arrest him.

There were speculations last night that Dasuki had been arrested, but The Nation could not confirm it.

It was learnt that the attempt to arrest Dasuki was in connection with the probe of ex-Service Chiefs by the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari. The Nation yesterday reported exclusively that a probe of the former chiefs was in the smithy.

A highly-placed source said the movement of the ex-Service Chiefs might be restricted to the country, pending the conclusion of preliminary investigations into how military budgets were run in the last five years.

The DSS operatives stormed Dasuki’s Asokoro Quarters compound at about 7.30pm. He was breaking his Ramadan fast.

They could not surmount the security barricade.

It was gathered that the former NSA was caught unawares because there was no official invitation by the DSS or any communication as required of his status.

His Sokoto home was also under siege, a source said.

The source said: “The ex-NSA was shocked that he was not contacted or invited for interaction on any issue.

“Dasuki is suspecting that there is a motive to make him to spend the Sallah break in detention. I think they have tracked the ex-NSA’s movement, they knew he was billed for Sokoto on Friday (today) for Sallah.

“As I am talking to you, neither the Director-General of the DSS, Lawal Musa Daura, nor any of the operatives in his house has spoken with Dasuki. All they want is for him to surrender.

“But Dasuki remained holed up in his house. He cannot just surrender to gun-wielding operatives who came to his house at dusk.”

A security source said: “I think the siege to Dasuki’s was part of the first step to probe the immediate past Service chiefs.

“Dasuki was central to counter-insurgency battle against Boko Haram and virtually providing leadership for the Service chiefs”.

The Buhari administration is already looking into how the counter-insurgency initiative was funded. Dasuki is expected to assist substantially in the probe, The Nation learnt.

“You know Dasuki had planned to resign immediately there was a change of government but President Muhammadu Buhari refused to accept because he wanted to clear the Augean Stable in the defence sector.

“Buhari’s position is that all the former Service Chiefs must account for every budget for operations in the last five years. He has been disturbed about reports of corrupt practices by some Service Chiefs.”

The security source confirmed that Dasuki might be investigated on the following issues:

all sources of funding of the campaign against Boko Haram;
purchase of arms from Russia and its cost;
training of the members of the Special Force;
why the seized $15m was hauled in cash to South Africa to the embarrassment of the nation;
what informed the recruitment of South African mercenaries as fighters in Sambisa Forest, Gwoza and some parts of Adamawa and Yobe states; and
why Nigeria rejected military assistance from the US and the UK against Boko Haram.
As at press time, the fate of the former Service Chiefs was unknown, but a source said “they have been placed on close monitoring”.

They are former Chief of Defence Staff Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, ex-Chief of Army Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah, ex-Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Usman, and ex-Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu.

The security source added: “They are all under close watch and their movement will be restricted to the country. In any case, by military rules, they are already on the Reserve List. Technically, they are still in service and can be recalled to answer questions on their tenure.”

A pro-Democracy Non-governmental organisation -HUman Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) condemned the reported invasion and gestapo operations at the homes of the immediate past National Security Adviser.

HURIWA called on President Muhammadu Buhari to follow due process and constitutional format in seeking to redress any alleged abuse of authority by any top government officials in the immediate past administration.

 

Your comment

 

(E-mail)

 

 

 

News Archive