MEND didn't bomb Abuja

2010-10-06
VANGUARD Newspaper- Daniel Idonor

ABUJA—ALL ex-militant leaders under the auspices of Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger-Delta, MEND, except detained Mr. Henry Okah, yesterday, held open-door meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan where they denied MEND’s involvement in Friday’s bomb attacks.
They said: “With a password anybody can operate MEND’s email account.

Former Commander of MEND in charge of Bayelsa State, General Boy Loaf, who fielded questions from State House Correspondents said: “There is nobody with the identity of Jomo Gbomo in the MEND organization, even when most MEND press statements were signed by Mr. Jomo Gbomo.”

He added: “Gbomo Jomo is a ghost who can be anybody; Gbomo Jomo can be anybody who uses the MEND email account password to send press releases. Jomo Gbomo does not exist, if the person handling the media sector has a problem and another person takes over so far he has the password of the email he can use the name of Jomo Gbomo and cover up as Jomo Gbomo. So there is nothing as Jomo Gbomo, he does not exist.”





The ex-militants took turns to corroborate the position of President Goodluck Jonathan on last Friday’s twin bomb attacks in the Federal Capital Territory, FCT. They had met with President Jonathan at the Briefing Room of the Aso Chambers, where they also confirmed Jonathan’s earlier claim that MEND had no direct link with the bomb attacks.

The ex-militants who met the President included Alhaji Mujahideen Asari Dokubo, Chief Government Ekpomupolo (Tompolo), Ebikabowei Victor (Boyloaf), Chief Ateke Tom, Comrade Fara Dagogo, Shoot At Sight, Eberi Papa and Buster Rhyme.

Leader of the delegation and President of Ijaw Youth Council, IYC, Mr. Karomema Mabiye, said they
were in Aso Rock “to solidarise with President and his government and to assure Nigerians that the people of Niger Delta, having come this way, left the creeks and taking amnesty are solidly behind this government.

“We want to say it here and to the whole world that the act is condemnable and we unequivocally and totally condemn that act. It is dastardly, it is irresponsible and it is morally reprehensible. We reject such incident and we say that the Niger Delta people are no way in support of that kind of attitude. Let it go from here and let it go to the entire world, particularly because we read in the media that it was MEND.”

Leader of the Niger Delta People Volunteer Force, NDPVF, Alhaji Mujahidin Asari Dokubo, said the bomb attack was “heinous and condemnable,”adding: “ I want to say that we the people of Niger Delta, have condemned this action. We want the world to know that no power in heaven, on earth or below the earth, is strong enough to resist the power of God. It is the power of God that created this world that establish and stabilized it. God has said that you, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is the President of Nigeria.

“I cried when I heard it, because I never expected it to happen and let it not be associated with the people of the Niger Delta. We may have different political opinion, but that does not mean that we do not know our root. We are not going to sell our patrimony. We will not do it; we believe that we have all spoken.”

Responding, President Jonathan said: “I want to plead with you that though like most programmes, we might have hitches, I want to assure you that the government is actually committed and by God’s grace most of these hitches will be resolved. I want to appreciate you for your support because 1st October is a very special day for Nigeria.

“I don’t know when last the Federal Government celebrated the 1st October and if I can remember it is as far as 15 years back and we think that hitting the 50th mark we need to celebrate. And with heads of government all over the world present and let us even assume that somebody is aggrieved with the government that was not the day to have expressed it.
And of course, when this happened the name of MEND was mentioned and I am happy that you are here because I am from there and I know all the actors and leadership of MEND. I am happy that you have told Nigerians and the rest of the world that it is not MEND that did it.”

 

Your comment

 

(E-mail)

 

 

 

News Archive