Ex-Niger Delta governor behind plot against Jonathan-Presidential aide

2010-02-22
THE PUNCH Newspaper-Ihuoma Chiedozie


A presidential aide on Sunday claimed that an unnamed former ex-Niger Delta governor was the mastermind of a plot to destroy Acting President Goodluck Jonathan.

The presidential aide, who did not wish to be named, said the former governor was collaborating with some unnamed northern elements to actualise the plot against the Acting President.

The claim followed the presidency’s earlier allegation that a cabal within the corridors of power had launched a media campaign against the person of the Acting President, aimed at discrediting him and members of his immediate family.

The Acting President’s spokesman, Mr. Ima Niboro, had in a statement on Wednesday said the Presidency had uncovered the plot.

The statement had alleged that the plotters sensitive documents collated from financial transactions of the Acting President from his days as the governor of Bayelsa State till date, with the intention of releasing the materials to the media.

The statement had warned that the individuals behind the plot were being monitored and would be brought to book.

However, reacting to the claims, the Action Congress, had in a statement on Thursday, asked the Acting President to reveal the identities of the unnamed group.l

In response to the AC’s statement, the presidential aide urged the opposition party not to lose any sleep over the matter as “nobody is suspecting it.”

Rather the aide explained that the “emerging enemy is within; except if members of the group plan to defect from our great party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to join AC.”

Continuing, he said, “If AC really wants to know those behind the plot against Jonathan, they should go and ask a former South-South governor who has been parading the corridors of power since 2007; and why he suddenly stopped towards the end of last year.”

Besides the media campaign against Jonathan, the presidential aide disclosed that part of the plot to discredit the Acting President involved efforts to cause unrest in the Niger Delta, in a bid to portray him as “weak and ineffective.”

He further explained that the “plotters intend to create an impression that Jonathan is incapable of maintaining the new-found stability in his region, and as a result, should not be relied on to effectively lead Nigeria.”

According to the aide, information available to the Presidency indicates that the plotters “have begun the recruitment of militant youth in the Niger-Delta region to attack oil installations and possibly return the country to the dark history of the unfortunate pre-amnesty era.”

Expressing regrets at the development, he said, “Our brothers are tired of fighting, they want massive development, they want all the good things of life, including electricity, good homes, environment, education and employment opportunities which will lead to their socio-economic empowerment.

“Those politicians who still want our young men to die through the bullets of the Nigerian army should first be in haste to bring back to Nigeria their children schooling in prestigious higher institutions of learning and residing in highbrow cities and areas of Europe and America, to fight for their selfish interest.”

 

Your comment

 

(E-mail)

 

 

 

News Archive